butterflies pop-up card

This is a sympathy card. Condolences for a friend whose mother passed. My friend's mother's name is Dot.  

I never know what to say on a sympathy card so I don't say anything. My hope is that the card itself will do the talking for me.

I also never know what to draw so I tend to lean on the reliable standard of butterflies = metamorphosis. I thought about including a page with a caterpillar also with a dot that transformed into a butterfly with a dot on a second page.  See, the caterpillar with a distinct dot could stick out among a bunch of common caterpillars all in movement, and the butterfly with the dot on the next page would stick out among a bunch of common butterflies. The message of ineluctable change occurring within groups and that change being natural would be unmistakable, and Dot would be followed through change that need not be terrible, in fact, quite natural.  I dropped all that in favor of a simple one page card of a woman enjoying the flight of a bunch of butterflies, because condolence cards must be straightforward and simple.


The other thing I tend to lean on is Egyptian religious iconography. That would be more fun for me, and I may still do that when I tire of butterflies, but I'm fairly certain the whole idea of winged scarab from beetle would be unappreciated and the idea of a dung beetle in relation to condolences considered completely off the mark.

I do not know what got into me. I no longer have any patience to draft careful drawings. I used to spend hours getting the lines exactly right but now I don't care. I just scratch out everything rapidly and that will just have to do.  I no longer even clean up my mess. I just leave all the construction lines in place without erasure. I just don't care, and I do not understand that. You'd think that I would at least try to get my pictures to look a little professional but I never do.
cover
card barely opened
half opened
3/4 opened
full open 1
full open 2
full open 3
full open 4
full open 5
full open 6
A page has been written that describes the ideas behind the construction of this card to enable you to make a card for yourself. There are no worthwhile templates there, but I do believe you can see what is going on and use the basic ideas.  This page is for viewers who might like to take a shot at making their own cards.

Comments?  boure AT comcast DOT net  <--- obviously parse that logically into  an email address.

No comments:

Post a Comment